Choosing a domain name? Get smarter!
Technically speaking, domain names are used in URLs to identify a particular Web Page OR you can say that the name that gets registered in the DNS(Domain Name System), becomes the domain name- a unique identity. But frankly, a domain Name holds immense importance as it is the lead web portray-er & you must choose a domain name that appropriately suits your business or a personal portfolio.
I have tried to collect few crucial points that you must keep in mind while choosing a domain name for yourself-
1. Choose a unique and creative nameAs rightly said by Steve Martin - Be so good that they can't ignore you. So, just get as creative as you can be while choosing a domain name. Remember, the domain name is worthless and useless if it doesn't connect with the audience in a relevant way, so it has to be unique.
2. Be short and simpleThe shorter, the better. Whether it is Google, Yahoo, Flipkart, Paytm or name any other major brand, they all have short domain names. A domain name should be kept concise because it is not only easy to remember and type but also can be pronounced without a great effort.
3. Avoid hyphens and numbersTo avoid generating inconvenience for the website users, numbers and hyphens should not be a part of your domain name.Use of clear and smooth words is a must while choosing your web identity.
4. Keep a check on similar namesPay attention to similar sounding or spelled names to avoid any confusion. After all, it's not ethical also and you may land in legal issues.
5. Domain Name ExtensionWhile going for the extensions .com is really advisable and still the best. If that’s taken, try .net or .org Or think of a new domain name.
So guys, just Brand yourself, and remember that an action without the right name is meaningless.