"Internet of Things" - A Connected World
Hello, my dear techie folks! Let’s discuss one of the revolutions of all times in technology – IoT or Internet of Things. Search in Google, you will get to know, it is interconnection network between the physical devices, vehicles or we call it smart devices, buildings, and other items. They are embedded with electronics, software, actuators and network interconnectivity that enable these objects to collect and exchange data. The world has become a lot more connected and hence, easier due to nothing but IoT. Let’s see some unknown facts with statistics about IoT.
1. What a study says, around 87% of the world population have not heard of the term ‘Internet of Things’. Such an important thing people are missing.
2. Can you tell me what would the first IoT objects? The ATMs are the first IoT objects which came to the scene long back in 1974.
3. The world will acquire more than 5 billion connected objects in the coming year 2017.
4. Whatever we see in our homes, from smart thermostats to smart fridges are IoT objects. Companies like Google understands the importance of this. Google bought smart thermostat maker, Nest Labs, for $ 3.2 billion.
5. Around a quarter of a billion vehicles will be connected to the Internet, giving us completely new possibilities for in-vehicle services and automated driving, as estimated, by 2020. Sounds exciting, right?
6. As compared to 150k units in 2013, it is estimated that over 10 million units of Internet-connected clothing are coming by 2020.
7. Having a connected kitchen could save the food and beverage industry as much as 15% annually.
8. CISCO believes that IoT would generate $ 4.6 trillion over next ten years in public sector whereas around $ 14.6 trillion in private sectors.
Certainly, the IoT will not see any stagnant point of growth in the future. It will only grow to become larger and greater to connect anything to everything in the world. A truly connected world is awaiting us!