Street to Smart Phone - A Paradigm Shift in Search Behaviour
Why do I think this is such an important topic to discuss? Because, it is very important for small businesses and retailers to appreciate the paradigm shift if they really want to protect thier business and profits from big online brands.
Now, what exactly is this paradigm shift?
Today the way customers discover, compare, decide, and evaluate has really shifted…significantly.To understand it better, let's put ourselves in question--till few years back, we used to go out to markets to find things but today we pick our mobile phone for the same search, compare price, know availability, reviews to buy. Today, this is how you and me buy.
Here are some interesting figures to prove what I am trying to say -
- ‘Near me’ searches have grown 34 times since 2011, and as you would expect, 80% of these are on mobile.
- 18% of local searches led to a purchase within a day from a nearby store as compared to 7% of non-local searches.
- First of all, a retailer must understand his positioning as an off-line store and its geolocation advantage where his customer can touch & feel the products before buying.
- Today you are not loosing your profits only because of online presence of brands & deep discounting policies but majorly because of your absence in online space i.e. Search + Social.
- What you should understand and can do immediatley is, building your online presence and that too...very seroiusly. And please do not misunderstand online presensce with having an online store only.
Stay tuned for more. If you have any questions, feel free to ask here.We would really be happy to answer.